So my daughter Samo has agreed to make dinner at least once a week. She is a fantastic cook and loves finding different recipes to try out.
She has to have full control in the kitchen, and little to no help is needed. That is until her prep dishes need to be cleaned. Then she calls in her little brother and sister.
They only come in because they can’t wait to eat!
Let me tell you, I am so excited that she doesn’t need my help because I can use a break from cooking. Especially on a day like today. My youngest daughter had 4 soccer games, and each game had a hefty travel time attached to it.
When I pulled up to the second game, I sent my chef (daughter) a text and said, please make one of the dinners that you had me get the ingredients for.
She said, “ABSOLUTELY”!
Completely made my day.
Now here comes my husband walking over towards me and said: “hey, what sounds good for dinner.”
I smiled from ear to ear and told him, “Our baby girl has it covered.”
He immediately said, “uh oh, that means meat is off the menu”!
We both laughed out loud because we knew that was most likely a fact.
We pulled up after a long day and walked into a house that smelled like a delicious bakery/Italian restaurant.
Samo had rolls, homemade brownies for dessert, and (MEATLESS) Butternut Squash Lasagna for the main course. The entire meal was fantastic! My greedy husband kept saying, “I DONT MISS MEAT IN THE LASAGNA.”
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 8 ounces of spinach
- ¾ cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 ½ cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cups of cottage cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole milk or more if needed
Step By Step For 3 Layer Lasagna
- Place the squash in a 400-degree oven for 40 minutes. Let cool and then slice off the outer skin discard.
- Slice into cubes and place in a lightly coated pan and add water
- Add seasonings
- Remove from pan and puree
- Add butter, flour, and whisk and then slowly add milk and nutmeg
- In a large bowl add cottage cheese, mozzarella and lightly season with black pepper
- Place boiled noodles on the bottom, add squash, cheese, and spinach mixture
- Repeat 2 more layers
Tightly cover and bake for 40 minutes
Remove after 40 minutes and add parmesan cheese remaining cheese and basil. Keep uncovered and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
You could have chosen any blog to read, but you chose mine, and I’m honored.